Infradox XS all versions
Extracting unique words for tag lists and suggestions (version 26 and later)
Infradox XS can be configured to display word suggestions as the user starts typing in the search input boxes. This function can use different sources and it can suggest galleries as well. One of the data sources is the table with unique words that are extracted from your metadata. The article Extracting unique words for tag lists and suggestions explains how you can change the unique word processing procedures. Also read the article about Tag clouds for further information.
Go to Site configuration, Search settings and then open the section Suggestions.
You can choose from the following options:
- Don't display suggestions
Choose this option to completely disable the function. Note that you may also enable the function while allowing users to switch it off themselves.
- From extracted keywords
When you upload a new file or when you change the data of a file already in the database, unique words are extracted from the keywords field (and/or other fields) and these words are stored in a database table with references to the files in which the word appears. This table is used to retrieve suggested words when you choose this option. You can also display suggestions from both the keywords that are extracted for this purpose and from other tag lists. For more information about extracting tags, please read the article about this subject (in the links at the top).
- Custom database function
This option should be selected only if you have contracted us to develop a special function for you.
- From plain text file
If you want more control and you have a relatively small list of suggestions, then you can upload a simple text file. This will then be used instead. It's recommended to run a test with a small file first. Also see below for information about uploading text files.From text file synonyms.txt
- Reserved for a future version. Currently not available.
- From vocabulary
Reserved for a future version. Currently not available.
- No keyword suggestions.
If you want to suggest gallery names only (galleries can be events, portfolio's, photo stories and so on), then choose this option and make sure that you check the box Include suggestions for galleries too.
Include suggestions for galleries
- If you check this option, then the suggestionsbox will display both keywords and gallery names.
It's also possible to suggest gallery names only as described above.
Uploading suggestion text files
- To upload a plain text file, go to Site configuration, Website files and click Show options underneath Suggestion text files.
The file that you upload must have the file name suggestions.txt - each word in the file should appear pn its own line, don't use commas.
- The list of keyword suggestions is cached on the server. If you upload a new version you must click the link to clear the server cache. You'll find this link in the section where you can upload the suggestions.txt file.
- Enable the Soundex option to include words that are phonetically similar to the word that the user enters.
Examples of words that the Soundex function may return are hair and hare.
You can choose any of the following options to change which words will be included in the suggestions.
Only words that exactly match what the user types will be included in the suggestions. Note that suggestions are always case insensitive. Keywords must be comma separated. If the keywords of a photo contain red hair, woman, young then three different keywords are extracted with red hear being treated as a single compound keyword. If matching is set to Exact and one types hair, both hair and red hair may be displayed as suggestions. Hairy however will not be part of the suggestions.
With this option enabled, all words are returned that are a partial match. To stay with the above example, suggestions for hair will include hair, red hair and hairy. But also chair.
- Exact and starts with
This returns all words that would be returned with the option Exact described above, and also words that start with what the user types. Using our example again, suggestions for hair will not include chair but it will include hairy.
- Exact and ends with
As above but words are returned only if an exact match is found or if words end with the word that is typed. E.g. for hair the word chair will be included, the word hairy will not.
- You can change how suggested words are displayed, i.e. you can display the words as they are extracted and stored or you can convert the words to uppercase, lowercase or capitalized.
Letting users choose whether they want suggestions or not
- Choose the setting Display checkbox to enable end users to enable or disable suggestions. The setting is stored in the user's cookies so it will remain on or off.
Suggestions for the quick search function and for the advanced search function
- If the user clicks a word that appears as a suggestion when typing in the quick search box, a search will execute immediately.
- If the user clicks a word that appears as a suggestion when typing in one of the advanced search input boxes, then that word is copied to the input field, but a search doesn't immediately start. This allows the user to create a Boolean search using more words and And, Or, Not.