Infradox XS 17 - all versions
What are Infradox file restrictions / file reservations?
The infradox system supports all common standard types of file restrictions. I.e. you can hide files from your client facing pages (such files will not appear in search results), you can block delivery of files, you can create non-blocking restrictions, you can block files for agents, uses other than editorial, syndication, API access and so on. All by simply ticking the relevant checkboxes, either for a single file or in batch. Note that restrictions can be applied automatically at the ingestion stage as well.
New in XS version 17, is that you can create file restrictions that you can link to user accounts. Such restrictions have a number of settings, i.e.
- a start and and end date,
- a public and a private (visible for administrators only) description,
- whether or not the restrictions shows on preview and/or order pages,
- whether or not the file can still be added to carts while the restriction is active,
- whether or not the file can still be added to carts, but delivery of that file is blocked until an administrator approves delivery of that file,
- a user account (optional),
- whether or not the restriction/reservation appears on the user's page on the client facing website - if linked to a user account.
This new function allows you to completely block files for a certain time period, for instance because it was sold exclusively. But you can also create a restriction that prevents users from downloading the file (if the user has immediate download permissions) without approval of administrator. This is useful if a file can still be sold but not for certain uses (e.g. not for a book cover). And another use of this system is to block files for a specific user for a certain time period - in essence creating a reservation.
How to create a restriction or reservation linked to a user account
To create a restriction or reservation, open the file's data dialog. You can either do this for instance,
- by finding the file on the client facing pages and then click the "File" button in the admin toolbar on a preview page,
- by clicking the File properties link underneath the thumbnail on the order pages,
- by clicking a thumbnail when you are viewing files in a user's lightboxes, cart, or orders.
In the dialog, click the Restrictions tab where you'll get an overview of any active restrictions. To create a new one, click the Add restriction link to open a new dialog (screen shot below).
User's restriction and reservation page
A new page was added to XS that allows a user to see which files have restrictions and/or are reserved for him/her. Including information about when reservations will expire or have recently expired. To enable this page, you'll have to activate it via Site configuration, Pages and menu and then click the section Website menu. Tick the checkbox next to Reservations under the My account submenu item. Note that you can still use the restriction and reservation system without enabling the client facing page.
With the new notification system enabled, the user will be warned about restrictions and/or reservations that are about to expire and that have recently expired. The parameters for how this works can be configured to you liking via Site configuration as described above.
The user management overview page will show any restrictions or reservation that exist for your user accounts. The order management pages will also show an indication for files for which restrictions/reservations exist. If a user has immediate download permissions but one or files that he/she ordered have blocking restrictions, the user will not be able to download those files until after you - as an administrator - have allowed the user to do so.