Article last updated on
- 19 October 2015
- Infradox XS version updates
- Custom cookie message HTML
- Price calculator for RM images
- File collections and download sizes
- Displaying file sizes, prices etc
- SEO settings and Google Analytics
- Word stemming
- Making a custom login dialog
- Using code editor aliases
- Home page configuration
Version 26.4 has many changes, not all are listed in this article. Development and beta testing is very time consuming and complex as a result of:
- the variety of clients that use XS,
- the permissions that your end users may and may not have,
- the type of content/media that our clients have,
- the amount of possible backoffice settings,
- the different modules that can be enabled on XS websites,
- the possible customisations clients may have,
- and so on.
Performance related changes
- We have implemented a new server side caching mechanism that pre-parses templates and page fragments. This results in page generation times that are considerably faster than before. You can view the status of this cache (and you can reset it) via Site configuration, Data services. Note that both data caching (introduced in earlier versions of XS) and String caching can be disabled with a setting in backoffice (Site configuration, Website configuration).
- The website software has undergone several other changes and optimisations to improve dynamic page creation performance.
- To reduce page sizes, we have removed the paths from thumbnail and preview images, and we now use relative paths only whenever possible.
- The HTML of several dialogs (e.g. e-mail page dialog, quote dialog, lightbox related dialogs etc) has been removed from the pages and the HTML is now loaded dynamically only. This reduces the size of several of the HTML pages.
- Tag lists (on search results pages) are now retrieved after the page is loaded with an asynchronous call. This means that the search results page will load faster because the server doesn't have to wait with building the page until all the tags are retrieved.
SEO and social media related changes
For more information about this subject, please read the updated article SEO settings and Google Analytics
- Backoffice now has a separate settings page that you can access by clicking SEO & Social settings in Site configuration.
- You can now specify separate settings for both thumbnail and preview title tags and alt tags. This should help improve making images visible in e.g. Google image search. This has now been implemented on all pages where relevant, i.e. search results, previews, gallery related pages and so on.
- You can now include your Google tag manager code on all pages.
- All pages now have appropriate page titles. You can configure how these titles are made
- We have implemented the Open Graph Protocol. All pages now have appropriate OGP meta tags. More info about OGP: Facebook Open Graph Protocol. Note that although developed by Facebook, the protocol is now embraced by many other websites and its tags are read by search engines too.
- We have integrated Facebook's own Like and Share functions that you can use instead of the AdThis buttons. Sharing via AdThis however, has also been improved because of the now supported Open Graph Protocol.
- You can now configure how preview descriptions for search engines are generated.
- All pages now have a canonical url meta tag which is a search engine requirement. Further information about this subject can be found here: Use canonical URL's on Google.
Backoffice interface changes
- The user interface of Site configuration has been changed to group settings so that specific settings are easier to find and to improve performance.
- We have added more help and links to indicate where related settings can be found.
- The code editor has been removed from Site configuration and is now separate. It can be accessed from the main menu when on the client facing pages, and from the toolbar when on the backoffice pages.
- You can now grant/revoke permissions to access the code editor on each administrator account. This allows you to let 3rd party developers access the code editor - without also granting access to other admin functions.
- The code editor interface has been updated and several page and page fragment types have been added (more about this further down this article). You can now also enter a name for your custom pages to make it easier to see what a custom page is used for in the client facing website.
- We have added the Suggestion server cache information to the Data services section. You can review its status and you can empty its cache manually.
- The gallery manager now loads tree items 100 at a time. This was done to improve usability of the Gallery manager for those of you who have very large numbers of galleries.
- To be able to edit a gallery without having to load and scroll all titles in a group, we have added an Edit button to the suggestions. By clicking this button you can immediately edit a gallery without having to find in the tree first. Simply select the top level first, then type a few letters in the search box at the top. In the list of suggested titles, click on the edit button on the right of the title.
Price calculator for RM images
For further information about configuring the price calculator, please read the article Price calculator for RM images.
- The price calculator configuration page has been entirely rewritten
- You can enable/disable the suggestions function to help the user find the use settings (also see below).
- You can enter your own instructions that will show at the top of the dialog. These instructions will appear when a user selects a certain use, e.g. explaining what the use is intented for.
- You can now use the calculator in "Quotation" mode. Instead of displaying the simple e-mail form, the user can be guided through the process of getting a price by use of the price calculator.
- "Industries" can now also affect the calculate price, either upwards or downwards (e.g. for charities).
- The calculator now takes a supplier's minimum price into account. I.e. if there's a minimum price for a supplier's files, the calculated price will never be lower than the minimum price. If the end user has a discount, then the minimum price is raised by that so that the user still gets the discount, but without allowing the price to go below the minimum.
- The backoffice test calculator shows in more detail how a price is calculated.
- The client facing price calculator displays how a price is calculated if you are logged in with an administrator account.
File collections, available sizes and prices
For detailed information about these changes, please read the article File collections and download sizes and there's also information about displaying file collection properties here: Displaying file sizes, prices etc.
- You can now assign single files to a fixed file collection. If a file has a fixed collection, then the settings for that collection will be used regardless of other settings. Use this to override the defaults in terms of prices, available sizes and so on.
- You can now define any size and DPI setting that you want to make available (before you could choose from pre-defined sizes only).
- You can make files available in up to different download sizes (including the master file).
- A collection can be attached to another collection to allow the system to automatically select the most appropriate collection based on the size of the master file.
- You can configure for each available size whether or not you want to display file information (i.e. size in pixels, size in cm, size in inches and download size in MB).
- You can now configure a mimimum pixel difference to automatically exclude file sizes if the difference between a size and another size is less than the configured value.
- Downloadable RF file sizes are automatically removed if the price for a file would be lower than the minimum price for RF images that is configured for a supplier.
- Downloadable file sizes are automatically removed if a size is larger than then size of the original/master file. Because of this, it may be only possible to download the master file if it's a small file.
- If you are logged in as an Administrator, a Admin info link appears for files on the client facing pages. Click the link to get information about the File collection that is assigned to the file.
Please note that many of these changes were also made in preparation of the new Payment gateway (which is still being developed and not part of this release). The changes impacted many aspects of the website, both client facing and back office related. Careful testing with your particular settings is an absolute necessity.
Custom templates in the code editor
- You can create your own Cookies message HTML. E.g. to display it as a bar at the top of the page. This article describes how you can do this: Custom cookie message HTML
- You can create your own HTML that will be displayed if a user's search request returns no results. This HTML can contain anything (e.g. photos and text) and it can be edited with the code editor. You can also display keyword suggestions by use of the "listsuggestions" tag.
- You can create a custom login dialog. A code example is included.
What else is new...
- We have added several configuration options to the standard home page slide show. More information: home page configuration.
- The full screen lightbox dialog is now also available on the cart page.
- After rearranging a lightbox from the tools window, the page will not reload.
- You can now also rearrange a lightbox from the full screen window without having to go to the tools dialog first.
- Date range filters can be displayed as checkboxes (in addition to the dropdown box option)
- You can now make custom filters "mutual exclusive" (so that only one option can be selected)
- In addition to copying one of your own lightboxes into a user's account (backoffice, user management), you can now copy a lightbox from "any" user into any other user's account. And you can also copy a lightbox from any user to any other user's account.
- You can now display the words of the last search as removable tags. In addition to "refining" a previous search, you can now also "widen" a previous search by clicking on a word that you want to remove.
- We have added functions that can be used for Wordpress integration, e.g. your Wordpress site can check the XS site for information about the user - is the user logged in or not etc.
- You can now include a page footer on every page (including search results, preview pages and so on). To enable this, go to Site configuration, General settings, General settings.
- You can now enable and configure word stemming (for English words) for searches. For more information read this article: Word stemming.
- We have added a Word stop list that you can use to specify words that you want to (invisbly) remove from search queries.
- You can now upload a favicon via Site configuration, Website files, Website Artwork (file must have the name favicon.ico).
- if an adminstrator creates an order into an account from a lightbox, then default prices (as specified for the attached collection) are copied to the order details and the order is created with the flag "allow user to see prices" switched off. This allows you to adjust prices, before the user will see that information.
- You can now display certain messages / feedback where the user clicks as opposed to showing the default Toast messages. For instance, when a user clicks a button underneath a thumbnail, the feedback will be displayed there (e.g. file was added to the cart). To enable this setting, go to Site configuration, General settings and open the section General settings.
- You can now configure the download function to open JPEG files immediately in a new window (as opposed to displaying a link to the file with instructions re how to save). If a user's browser prevents this from working (e.g. because of a pop-up blocker) - the default method will be used automatically - i.e. the download link will appear as it did before.
- The function that tests for valid e-mails has been adjusted to accept the new domain extensions (e.g. email@example.com).
- We have added Australian states.
- You can now choose between several display options for the keywords index page. In addition to displaying keywords as a tag cloud, you can now also display keywords as a normal list in columns.
- The maximum number of search suggestions has been changed from 200 to 1000 words.
- You can now also display suggestions from extracted tags - as configured via Tag processing.
- The order in which suggestions are displayed has improved
- The speed in which suggestions are retrieved has improved. Suggestions are also cached.
- You can now choose between 2 sort options to change the order in which suggestions are displayed.
- if a user has immediate download permissions and the order contains RM images or files that are not images, then prices are not shown on the download page. If an order only has RF images then prices are shown as usual.
- You can now display found tags inside the advanced search panel.
- The administrator's order page has been changed to make file restrctions and other important information clearer.
HTML and CSS changes for customised websites
- The sidebar now uses classes #sidebar.sidebaropen and #sidebar.sidebarclosed as opposed to setting the width in script - so that it is easier to style with css.
- File information now uses separate classes for each separate property. More info: Displaying sizes, prices etc.
- The properties tab of the metadata repository dialog wasn't entirely visible on a Mac with Safari. This has been fixed.
- Deleting all files from a single supplier failed. This has been fixed.
- Organisation notes could store only 1000 characters, this has been changed to allow for 8000 characters.
- Organisation notes could not be saved if there was a % in the text. This has been fixed.
- Fixed a problem for user's registering from within the US (the state drop down didn't always appear).
- IPTC injection didn't always work as expected. This has been fixed.
- The "Delivery terms" were always used regardless of the backoffice setting for the Cart page (there are separate delivery terms and order terms). This has been fixed.
- Custom filters 10 to 14 weren't cleared when a new search for latest was executed.
- Fixed a problem that occurred under specific conditions when an admin addeda file to an already finalized order.
- We fixed a problem with rounding of amounts at the bottom of the cart pages as a result of currency conversions.
- Gallery pages showed a maximum of 100 gallery titles of galleries in the same group. This has been changed to 10000.
- Under certain conditions, thumbnails didn't show on the user management pages. This has been addressed.
- The Group id and Supplier id were in the wrong order on the Supplier payment pages. This caused the wrong supplier to be displayed when the properties dialog was opened.
- The user properties wasn't high enough in some browsers which made it problematic to change the country and state. This is fixed.
- Use of < and > characters in the metadata caused processing errors when using the HTTP uploader (as a result of invalid XML). This is fixed.
- The Back to thumbnails link - when viewing previews for galleries - sometimes didn't take you back to the thumbnails. This is fixed.
- When clicking Add all to lightbox (or order) while viewing a shared lightbox without being logged in, no log in dialog appeared. This is fixed.
- After opening a file properties dialog while viewing an order on the admin pages, the session id was reset. This has been fixed.
- Adding a file to a user's lightbox in the user management pages (backoffice) failed if the lightbox had no files yet. Thi is fixed.
- If only one user interface language was configured, you could still briefly see some flag icons in the banner. This has been changed.
Problems caused by server side caching
- On the upload page, the names of newly added series weren't displayed.
- The correct price of a previously price (with the calculator) wasn't always shown
- The most up to date information re reservations and confirmed use wasn't always displayed.
- A user's most recent orders (when logged in as a client) weren't always displayed correctly.
- Updated cover photo, avatars and the "following" status on contributor related pages weren't always immediately showing.
- On several pages with in-place editable text, changes didn't always appear immediately after making a change.
- The (database) text on custom pages wasn't displayed after a change because of server side caching. This has been fixed.
- Image broker 126.96.36.199 - now supports creation of any file size without the need of pre-configured settings.
- API broker 188.8.131.52 - several optimisations, improved caching and centralised settings
- Data broker service 184.108.40.206 - added parsed string caching
- Style broker 220.127.116.11 - added support for the new page types that were added to the code editor
- Repository server 18.104.22.168 - several minor changes and improvements
- Datamatic 22.214.171.124 - fixed a problem with unique tag extraction
- Session Manager server 126.96.36.199 - sessions for which no country can be determined expire sooner (such sessions are unusally created by unknown bots, life-sign testers and so on).
- Website DLL 10.0.0.376
- Infradox Partner API 188.8.131.52 - changes allowing the creation of any file size when called from within the XS network.
- Remote Data Broker com object 184.108.40.206
- Suggestion Server 220.127.116.11 - minor fixes and improvements